• Family Photo Restoration • Mamička
• In my last visit home, to Burlington, Ontario, Canada, I decided to digitally scan a selection of old family photos. My wish is that one day, my boys and their offspring will have a high quality digital library of their family heritage. This is part of an ongoing pursuit to establish an archive of our family history, and build on the depth of work that my Mom has done with our family genealogy. My wish is that generations that follow us, will enjoy the the efforts that we made in the preservation of their family history. I hope to scan more photos on my next visit. So this is just a start.
• Each month I plan to post a selection of new photos that have been restored. I also wanted to record the restoration process, so that you can see the tedious process needed to achieve a near perfect restoration. I suggest viewing the videos in high definition and in full screen (both options can be selected, using the bottom right icons in the YouTube player). Enjoy.
♥ Happy Birthday ♥ Mamička ♥
I love you,
A Note to Family & Friends
• All photos in this blog can be downloaded by just clicking on them - the images will open in a new tab in your browser, where you can then right click on them and save the file to your computer. If you want an even higher quality version (to print, for example) then let me know, as I have the original uncompressed Tiffs.
• If you have anecdotal information related to any photos in this blog, then please send me the details, and I would be happy to add your postscript below the photos. Just send me an email or post your comments at the end of this blog.
• 3 minutes 3 seconds
62 – Keszthely · Eva Kendeova
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • This photo was taken in Keszthely, Hungary in 1961, I was 16 years old. My Mom and I were at my grandmothers, where we visited every second year.
• 1962 • Košice, Slovakia • Eva, Attila & Csaba Kende
• 3 minutes 56 seconds
61 – Kosice · Eva, Attila & Csaba Kende
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • On my right is my brother, Attila in military uniform, 23 years old, I’m 16 years old, and my other brother, Csaba (28 years old) is on my left, photographed at my parents apartment, Krmanova 3, Kosice, Slovakia.
• 2 minutes 50 seconds
64 - Spišská Nová Ves • Eva Kendeova
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • This photo was taken in Spišská Nová Ves, Slovakia, where there was a horseback jumping competition. On this occasion I was attending as a spectator, although my club was taking part in it. • Since my mother was born there, I used the opportunity to visit the villa she grew up in, where I spent a happy childhood. Beside the villa was the Haltenberger Textile factory that her grandparents owned in the 1920′s. This textile factory eventually was abandoned and in bad shape, and the business was sold by mother’s uncle Rudolf Haltenberger Jr., to Budapest around 1921-1922. • In this photo I am 19 years old. I am wearing a top which was very fashionable at that time.
• Postscript from me • September 2014 • I love this photo so much. It’s currently my favorite photo of my Mom, from before we emigrated. She is so beautiful… and still is!
• 1964 March 8 • Košice, Slovakia • International Woman’s Day • Eva & Valeria Kendeova
• 4 minutes 45 seconds
64.Mar.8 – Kosice · Eva & Valeria Kendeova (Woman’s Day)
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • Here I am about 18 years old. My mother and I were attending an International Women’s Day celebration at my Mom’s workplace.
• Postscript from me • September 2014 • It’s rare to find a photo of my grandmother where she is smiling. I think this is the best one I found, so far. I really love the emotion in this photo. You can see the happiness in her eyes, and how my mom is also enjoying the moment.
• 5 minutes 17 seconds
65.July – Keszthely · Eva Kendeova (Jumping with Furioso horse)
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • In this photo I am 20 years young. My Mom and I were visiting my grandmother in Keszthely, Hungary, during the summer holidays. Every time we visited, I would ride at the local stud farm. Here I am jumping the trainer’s stud. He was a really powerful horse, and a beautiful animal, from the Furioso breed. They liked when I visited, and eventually I took part in a competition for them. Later on I represented them at a horse pageant, at a different location.
• Postscript from me • September 2014 • We often hear our parents say that they did ‘this and that’, when they were young. As kids we don’t know the true extent of their accomplishments until we are old enough to appreciate them. Memories may fade with time, but these photos will (hopefully) last forever. My mom was an accomplished horseback rider. This is a great photograph of her in action.
• 2 minutes 23 seconds
66 – Tatra · Eva Kendeova
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • This photo is from a ski expedition we had in the Tatra mountains, organized by my university. I was in my first year of veterinary college.
• 1967 • Poprad, Slovakia • Eva Kendeova with Shagya
• 3 minutes 3 seconds
67 – Poprad · Eva Kendeova (w. Shagya)
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • Here I am 21 years old, at an equestrian competition in Poprad, Slovakia. I was representing my university’s equestrian club with my Arabian stud horse named Shagya. This was my last competition I took part in, because Taci did not like me pursuing a sport that was mostly in the company of men. Because of my love for him, I gave up the sport • Times have changed… Today the sport is mostly pursued by women. In a way, you can say that I was ahead of my time. By studying veterinary medicine, this was also considered a male’s profession, at that time.
• 1967 December 25 • Košice, Slovakia • Engagement Party • Dusil Brothers & Spouses
• 5 minutes 44 seconds
67.Dec.25 – Kosice · Dusil & Kende family (Dusil brothers & spouses)
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • This photo was taken at Taci’s and my engagement in my parents apartment in Kosice.
• Postscript from me • September 2014 • What my dad was about to do with his cup… I think I inherited some of that blood. • Standing, along the top row (left to right): Robert, Vaclav & Karol Dusil, sitting down are Zuzana Dusil, Eva Kendeova (not yet married), and Erika Dusil
67.Dec.25 – Kosice · Dusil & Kende family (Engagement party)
67.Dec.25 – Kosice · Dusil & Kende family (Engagement)
• Postscript from my Mom • September 2014 • Interesting, that on the left hangs the painting of “The Old Man” that burned in the fire years later. I have since painted it myself. It hangs now in the hallway near the kitchen. My mother loved this painting and once when I visited, my Mom wanted to give it to me. I refused to take it, because said told me on a previous visit that as long as she lived she is not giving it away. I told my Mom to live for a long time, and enjoy the painting.
• Postscript from me • September 2014 • A rare photo with so many Kende and Dusil family members in one photo. It was great to restore this one. I love the odd composition of the photo, by capturing “The Old Man” painting so perfectly. • Standing, along the top row (left to right): Robert Dusil, Csaba Kende, Erika Dusil, Karol Dusil, Eva Dusil, Vaclav Dusil, Anka Kendeova, Ladislav Kende, Attila Kende • Along the bottom row (left to right): Zuzana Dusil, Vera Kendeova, Stefan Kende, Valeria Kendeova, Robert Dusil sr.
Andrej Collak, Anna Collakova, Attila Kende, Csaba Kende, Darina Poprenakova, Digital Restoration, Dusil Family, dusil.com, Edo Novak, Erika Dusil, Eva Dusil, Gabriel Dusil, Ivan Spisak, Iveta Kende, Juraj Bialko, Karol Dusil, Kende Family, Ladislav Kende, Maria Collakova-Korytkova, Maria Dusilova, Michal Jr, Michal Korytko, Nyarjas, Orendas, Pepo Vesecky, Robert Dusil, Robert Dusil sr., Slavo Sykorsky, Stefan Kende, Vaclav Dusil, Valeria Kendeova, Vera Kendeova