▲ Identity Series
By: Gabriel Dusil, Co-founder & Board Member, Adel
By: Travin Keith, Marketing & Blockchain Advisor, Adel
This white paper outlines the principles of a community-based ecosystem and how this can be sustainable and profitable using cryptocurrencies as its foundation.
Adel is guided by a transparent and open economy. This ideology gives control back to the community and allows for any member to audit, scrutinize, and improve the ecosystem. This economy protects against negligent behavior as transactions, decisions, and the lifecycle management of projects are visible and auditable by the entire community.
A Community-based Funding Platform
Adel believes in the future of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. We believe in connecting this technology to projects both inside and outside the digital world. Our goal is to increase and sustain the value of cryptocurrencies by deriving value from the ownership and management of businesses and projects. This will be achieved by creating a secure platform where projects can be proposed, evaluated, and approved by community members. These projects will take the form of technology projects, blockchain innovation, or cutting-edge businesses. Adel’s projects will create opportunities for employment, participation, and innovation. Project teams within the community will work together to sustain the value of Adelphoi through profitable projects that benefit all members within the community.
The State are the People & the People are the State
As a self-sustaining macroeconomic ecosystem, Adel will utilize the benefits of a decentralized technology and community. The decision-making process will capitalize on the community’s knowledge to collectively make the best decisions possible while maintaining strong integrity, ethics, and business principles as overseen by the Adel Board. In this ecosystem, the Adel Board will act in an advisory role, providing services that protect and care for its community, while enforcing the rules that protect the Adel brand and the integrity of its blockchain. The ecosystem will be self-sustaining and efficient in economic terms. Leaders will be appointed in a way that maximizes resources, i.e. with the highest level of expertise, integrity, and due diligence. Profits will either be reinvested or paid back to community members, thus enhancing the economy and providing incremental value to its community. Socialization and collective responsibility are basic principles that will help stimulate success.
After extensive research, which included the evaluation of different cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology platforms, Adel decided to build on the Nxt platform – a blockchain with features that expand the functionality of pioneering cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin. These features include Shuffling, Voting, Aliases, and Phasing. The source code for Nxt has also been publicly disclosed, optimized, and perfected using (among other techniques) the Error Propagation Method, where the investigation and awarded discovery of deliberately inserted errors serves to help audit the source code itself.
Adel will move to Ardor, the multi-chain development of Nxt, in late 2017. Like Nxt, Ardor will have features that enhance the functionality of blockchain technology, making it an ideal platform for future projects. The Ardor child chain architecture will allow for the easy creation of a dependent blockchain that will be connected to and secured by the main Ardor blockchain. Ardor also solves scalability issues with a pruning feature so that future nodes will only download and keep transaction records on the main chain, as well as child chain transactions from the past 24 hours. However, it is still possible for child chain transactions to be kept, if so desired, with the use of an archival node that keeps all of the transaction records. This scalability is one of the ‘Holy Grails’ of cryptocurrency and blockchain development.
Nxt has already revolutionized the world of blockchain technology platforms by providing groundbreaking cryptocurrency features, as well as a powerful, modular toolset to build innovative business opportunities. All of Nxt’s functionality will be present in the Ardor platform, in addition to the advanced features (such as global scalability) that the Ardor multi-chain architecture will provide.
The following guidelines represent Adel’s philosophy regarding the operation of its community and projects. This philosophy ensures consistency of thought across the Adel ecosystem, as well as within the wider blockchain ideology and principles.
Our philosophy is global, so it applies to all levels of management and all geographic locations. We expect partners who are acting on our behalf to also adhere to equally high standards. We will continue to seek out business partners that share our beliefs. In addition, the Adel Board has a special responsibility to lead with integrity in ways that reflect positively on Adel’s overall project.
- International ▲ Adel is a decentralized global ecosystem, proudly employing staff and serving customers all over the world. Our Code of Conduct applies to all of Adel. It embraces diversity and respects cultural differences.
- Community ▲ All community members must follow our policies and ethical principles as soon as they accept our Community Code upon registration.
We value openness and transparency. We keep our commitments to each other, our community, and our partners. Our Code of Conduct is signed by all members of the Adel staff. This code outlines the policies of Adel and includes our ethical principles.
Adel will endeavor to programmatically minimize or otherwise remove the possibility of individuals manipulating the voting module to their advantage and compromising the integrity of the Adel community and its projects.
- Trust is not Assumed ▲ The community will be able to audit the platform and projects, as well as create applications that can programmatically audit activities.
- Restrictions ▲ The Adel Board and staff cannot vote on projects. Once a project has been approved by the Project Review Committee, only the community can vote on its approval. This is to remove any bias of the Adel staff from the community’s decision.
- Safeguards ▲ To avoid voting manipulation, results will only be available after the voting deadline. In addition, voting weight will be established at the time of the voting deadline. This way, voters trading their Adelphoi during the voting window will not have any voting influence since their vote will only be weighted at the date and time of when the voting window has closed. Also, it will not limit new community members who have joined during the voting window and wish to vote on a specific project.
- Blacklist ▲ A blacklist of community members will be established. In cases of suspected fraud or manipulation of the voting system. Those community members will be added to the blacklist, resulting in future voting restrictions and other limitations in community activities. Arbitration procedures will be established for those that dispute their addition to the blacklist.
- Mitigating the Need for Trusted Third Parties ▲ Adel will provide a platform that can be auditable by anyone who is a community member. In environments, such as healthcare, insurance, IT security, banking, and others where user data is concerned, some data protection, and privacy compliance will be necessary. For these projects, encryption, data anonymization, and other technical solutions will be utilized to meet regulatory requirements.
- Mitigating Intermediaries ▲ Adel supports minimum transaction fees as part of the Ardor platform architecture. Adel will minimize the need for “middle men” in order to simplify the platform architecture where possible and minimize unnecessary transaction fees or skimming
Where possible, systems will be free of proprietary solutions such as patents and other forms of intellectual property protection. The overall business processes and structures will be transparent to community members. The core Adel development code will be available under an open source license.
Control will remain with the community and not a governing power. The Adel Board will act as a curator by providing leadership and filtering projects that violate Adel’s Code of Conduct. Adel’s Project Review Committee (PRC) will also provide guidance, options and suggestions, but the final decision will be made by the community. The PRC will also evaluate and approve projects, as well as participate in forums to discuss projects with the community.
- Mitigating Centralized Control ▲ Adel will have a decentralized organization and platform of voting, project submission and project execution.
- Mitigating Single Point of Failures ▲ Adel supports a distributed system architecture with high availability and redundancy where a Cost versus Risk balance is justifiable. Since Adel will run on the Nxt blockchain, all of the information pertaining to Adel will be secure. Blockchains have a massive amount of redundancy as one of its key traits, thus eliminating the need for an external backup system.
Adel will be designed from the ground up to prevent external parties from collusion, fraud, extortion, or the manipulation of Adel and its community. Adel will continue to protect its community from activities that violate its Code of Conduct.
- Mitigating Violation of Privacy ▲ The Adel community, will maintain privacy of its clients, partners and members where possible, while meeting regulatory compliance to Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Counter-Terrorism Financing (CTF) and Know your Customer (KYC).
We use our values and ethical principles as decision filters to guide our behavior. We will turn down any business that is illegal, unethical or otherwise violates our philosophy.
- Partnerships ▲ We expect all of our business partners to hold themselves to an equally high standard. We choose partnerships that share our values and high standards regarding legal and ethical business practices. We won’t let anyone damage our reputation or our brand by acting illegally or unethically in Adel’s name.
Integrity is one of Adel’s most important values. At Adel, we are dedicated to delivering a secure and trustworthy platform for community members so they can safely participate in the ecosystem. It’s important that the actions we take as leaders of the community deliver on that goal. Adel’s staff will contribute their time and expertise to continually manage and improve the ecosystem.
Adel is committed to helping our community succeed by operating legally and ethically in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations. Adel believes that in adhering to these principles we not only protect the Adel brand, community, and its members, but also serve to protect the integrity of blockchain as a brand, and the innovative projects that will be introduced to society.
Adel is a technology incubator for blockchain innovation.
- Adel is a global cryptocurrency community that is self-sustained, and offers its own economic ecosystem with the Adelphoi token. Our community focuses on creating, developing, and implementing use cases involving blockchain technology that covers a wide range of digital and physical industries. Projects are chosen by the community and successful ventures are either re-invested in for further growth or issued as rewards to Adel’s stakeholders.
About the Authors
Gabriel is a seasoned sales and marketing expert with over twenty years of experience in senior level positions at companies such as Motorola, VeriSign (part of Symantec), and SecureWorks (part of Dell). His strengths lie in international business development and strategic partnerships, as well as the unique ability to translate complex ideas and technologies into language that decision makers can easily understand. Gabriel has a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Physics from McMaster University in Canada and possesses expert knowledge in cloud computing, IT security, and video streaming technologies (Over the Top Content, OTT). Gabriel also runs his own company, Euro Tech Startups s.r.o., and manages two blogs: https://dusil.com/ and https://gabrieldusil.com/.
Travin is a seasoned marketer who specializes in web and international marketing. He has worked with over a hundred businesses around the world spanning a wide range of industries. Since 2013, Travin has been involved with cryptocurrencies as a trader, investor, marketer, and community member. He joined the Nxt Foundation as a board member in 2016, serving as its Marketing Director and a Blockchain Consultant, as well as the representative to Hyperledger, a Linux Foundation Project.